Monday, April 18, 2011

Praise

This Sabbath I needed my own uninterrupted, extended time with Jesus.  Matt took Calissa to Sabbath school and left me at home to have the hours I needed with Jesus.  Jesus got right to the point and changed so much in those few short hours.  I am going to share a few of the quotes that have helped me regroup and refocus.  I know this doesn't directly relate to the kids but thought I would share just in case it could be a blessing to anyone else.  :)

All of the quotes are from the book "The Ministry of Healing" and from the chapter Help in Daily Living. 
Hikers struggling up Mt. Shasta in bad weather
      "Many who sincerely consecrate their lives to God's service are surprised and disappointed...  They pray for Christlikeness of character, for a fitness for the Lord's work, and they are placed in circumstances that seem to call forth all the evil of thier nature.  Faults are revealed of which they did not even suspect the existence.  Like Israel of old they question, "if God is leading us, why do all these things come upon us?
 
      It is because God is leading them that these things come upon them.  Trials and obstacles are the Lord's chosen methods of discipline and His appointed conditions of success.  He who reads the hearts of men knows their characters better than they themselves know them.... In His providence He brings these persons into different positions and varied circumstances that they may discover in their character the defects which have been concealed from their own knowledge. " p. 470-471

      "We need to beware of self-pity.  Never indulge the feeling that you are not esteemed as you should be, that your efforts are not appreciated, that your work is too difficult.  Let the momory of what Christ has endured for us silence every murmuring thought.  We are treated better than was our Lord." p. 476

       "His love is as far above all other love as the heavens are above the earth.  He watches over His children with a love that is measureless and everlasting." p. 482

    These are a couple of the quote that really helped me to look at things from a different perspective.  The things I was upset about are the same for which I am now praising Him.  He is doing a good work and I can trust Him to do it.  I praise God for 'trials' now, hopefully I don't forget too quickly!